Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Advent Reflection 2008 - Week3

3rd week of Advent
Isaiah 61:1-2; 10-11, 1 Thes 5:16-24, John 1:6-8, 19-28

This week is about joy. That's why the liturgical colour of this week is PINK. It represents joy and thanksgiving of Isaiah, Mary, and the encouragement from St Paul to Thessalonians, that we should be joyful and give thanks in all circumstances because of Lord Jesus Christ.


It is a special week because I sang Psalm and moreover the Psalm is The Magnificat, prayer of thanksgiving of Mary (Luke 1:46-56). It is such a privilege for me to be given a chance to put myself in Mary's shoes, to reflect her thanksgiving of God's mercy, her trust for God's plan. My favorite line of the Maginificat : From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me, Holy is His Name.


The reflections talk more on loneliness. Everybody has once experienced loneliness. I, too, often feel lonely like no one really wants me and needs my presence. No one really care about me. But, a lot of people out there have better reasons to feel uncared by God; Starvation, poverty, war. In a simple way, a lot of friends around us need a friend, need a listening ear from us. We often say that we simply don't have time to care about others' problems. We already have a lot of problem on our own. Yeah, it's me at least. Sometimes I feel, I even can't solve my own problem, how should I bother to know other people's misery. It will just make my life even worse.

And that's the point. Remember the Gospel that says that everything we do for the least of His people, we do it for Him? (Matthew 25:40). God is present in those who are in need and when we refuse to do something for them, we refuse God. Such a waste of opportunity. It is my biggest regret that in this Advent season, I failed to recognize God in those around me, I failed to do something for God...

It is time for all of us to offer friendship to others joyfully, even in the midst of our own troubles and pains, without being preoccupied if they deserve it and calculating what we can get in return.


No comments: