Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Advent Reflection 2008

Last Monday, I went for penitential service in SFA. It was the most beautiful moments for me throughout Advent this year. I was too busy during Sunday mass every week since I play keyboard so I can't really reflect on each week of Advent. But last Monday, I felt that God himself talked to me and gave me a lot of things to reflect and I am gonna share with you. I will quote some here and there from the booklet.

The booklet of Advent Reflection provided for parishioners throughout the island is a very very good one. The title is Being a People of Hope. The preface told us that sometimes planning is important for our lives, but we must also allow God, give room for God, to surprise us. I myself want to surrender and trust God more, to allow God reveal His plan for my life rather than think hard of what I want to become and how I achieve that. Do necessary things I should do with one direction which is to fulfill God's purpose in my life. By being closer to Him each day, I would be able to understand His purpose clearer.

1st week of Advent :
Isaiah 63:16-17;64:2-7; 1Cor 1:3-9; Mark 13:33-37


"We are the clay and you are the potter; we are the work of your hands". As we know, potter don't make a clay in mass production, but one by one. And that's how exactly God made us, unique and moreover, He created us with love. Therefore, we are all precious to Him. I am special, there is no other me everywhere else in the world. We are not only beautiful but also useful, He will help us to bring out the best out of our flaws, if we allow Him to.

During the penitential service, Fr Gitner told us a story about how a tribe in Mexico celebrate Christmas. A woman within the tribe is required to make a stole for the priest to be used in the Christmas Mass. And while making the stole, she should make one mistake when stitching each thread. What is the purpose behind that? It reflects that all of us has a flaw, no one in perfect, and we have something that only we ourselves and God know.

Relevant quotes :
- Pope Benedict XVI Spe Salvi : The power of purification comes from an encounter between my intimateself and God.
- St Augustine : My heart is restless, O Lord, until it finds rest in You.

Lord, help me to always realize that I am special and no matter what, I am loved. You made me beautiful and I want to be useful too for Your Kingdom on earth. Draw me closer to You each day so I may understand my purpose in life. Forgive me for what I have done and what I have failed to do. Holy Spirit, help me to always be faithful. Mother Mary, pray for me. Amen.

2nd week of Advent: Isaiah 40:1-5, 2 Pet 3:8-14, Mark 1:1-8
This week first reading tells us that our hope lies in God's promise of care and deliverance (Is 40:1). God is our shepherd who feed us, gathers us close, holds us and leads us to what we need most. Our pain and suffering take on new meaning because our Emmanuel, God is with us, has experienced human suffering and death. But it doesn't end there, Jesus is raised to life by the power of the Holy Spirit and this it the Good News, our real hope.

The Good News can't be spread to others if we do not take part in God's mission. We must follow John the Baptist, who prepared the way for the Lord and make straight paths for Him (Mark 1:1). Personally, I don't feel too comfortable to talk about my own faith to others. I don't dare to witness God's mercy and love in my life when I talk to people whom I don't know very well, even they

No comments: